Page Previews

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

September 7 Day 252

While backpacking through Asia, I found this divergence from normalcy was, at times, a great and wonderful thing; at least in hindsight. Every night I would be laying my head in a different "pillow" (e.g. an actual pillow, a sweatshirt, a scarf, a part of my rucksack, my hands...yup), and in many ways I feel blessed to have had these experiences. But honestly, at times it sucked. I mean, seriously, all I wanted was my nice cozy bed with 2 not too fluffy pillows and clean sheets. Is that too much to ask? Yes. In India and China it was.

Every day, or at least every few days, we would have to pack up our bags and take off to the next destination. We were, in a sense, homeless. We would always have to figure out where we were going to rest our heads for the night. We always had to buy either instant food or eat in a restaurant, and had to wear the same clothes over and over, not knowing when we could do the next load of laundry. Granted, these are some things I absolutely love about backpacking. The unknown. The puzzle of how to get around in a new culture.

But I am so thankful right now to have a home. To be around those that I love and that love me. To have some of those creature comforts that have been absent far too long. It's good to appreciate the things we all too often take for granted. But how long until we forget them? Until we take them for granted once again?




Day 251

Our lives are one big collage. Random events somehow interrelated yet each with their own distinct story.



Sept 6 Day 250

Whatever happened to writing personal letters? I have yet to figure out what this whole tweeting thing is about...



Sept 5 Day 249

Dear Sunflower,

Thank you for sharing your beauty with us this fall. I'm sad to see you leave but am looking forward to seeing your colors again next year.

Sincerely,
admirer




Day 248

Eating fresh raspberries on a Fall day. The simple joys in life.




Day 247 Sept 3

Funeral Day.

Comfort from the loved ones around us. We could all use a little bit more of both.




Day 246 Sept 2

Due to the business of the day with grandma's visitation and packing to go back home for a few nights, I did not remember to take any pictures today...


Day 245 Sept 1

Good job Teresa! Way to find Sylvie's ring!!!




Day 244

First day at WMCAT....Encouraging note in the kitchen..

Later I found out that my Grandmother Poortenga passed away that evening. The 93 years that she lived here on earth have come to a close, but I hope she is having a great 1st day in heaven today.



Day 243

My new wheels. It costs a pretty penny, but it's cheaper than a car and better for the environment!


August 29 Day 242

Moving back to G.R. for awhile to a house of old and new friends.



August 28 Day 241

Late night photo....closest thing to me at 11.59 p.m....

No comments: